Sunday, April 29, 2007

Thumping Headphones and Humming Speakers, 4/29/2007

Things have been hectic lately; I've had a myriad of papers and other assignments to do. Such is the nature of academia.

Regardless, here's the top 5 albums I am jamming to at the moment:
5) 2Pac: All Eyes On Me
Faux thug posturing or no, there are plenty of classics to make this album worthwhile. Be it the high-paced chemistry of "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted," the funky groove of "California Love," or the touching shout-out, "I Ain't Mad At Ya," there's enough good to ignore some of the repetitive post-thug posturing. And that's just disc 1.


4) Mos Def: Black on Both Sides
I honestly haven't had as much chance to listen to this as I would like, but Mos is as clever on the mic as he is pointed.


3) Lupe Fiasco: Food & Liquor
As I said last time, Lupe has energy and lyrical prowess to spare. The replay value on this album is outstanding; I feel as though each time I listen to a track, it's a different experience.

2) Mos Def and Talib Kewli Are Black Star
Two outstanding emcees allied together in one of the greatest hip-hop collaborations of all time. Black Star provides insight, provocation, and lyrics that can be charming, soothing, or riling, depending on the situation.
1) Brother Ali: The Undisputed Truth
Arguably the single strongest album I've heard in a long time-- perhaps one of the best in my collection. Brother Ali's rhythmically melodic delivery is just the beginning of what sets him apart from the herd; an albino who feels race is an invention, Ali's message ranges from his Muslim faith, his political views, and his bouts with homelessness and family problems. Never preachy, Ali prefers to tell about his past rather than mope. Ant's production is slick, with thumping basses intermingling with soulful tunes in what is arguably the most impressively dynamic soundclash of the year so far.